Sunday, October 18, 2009

Technology giving us back more time... Please explain how?

I was talking to a friend of mine recently and they made the comment to me that having the mobile phone next to my bed cannot be good for my sleep patterns. It did get me thinking about the level of dependency we have on all the tools that are available to us.

One of my coaching clients biggest issue was that her boss felt he had access to her 24/7 and often while she was bathing her young child or sitting at the dinner table he would be emailing, calling or texting her. My advise... quite simple really... tell him that when you leave work after a certain time you will be turning your phone off and the matter will have to wait till the morning.

Interestingly their relationship improved and their time within the work environment was better utilised. More importantly however he recognised that she had personal space and time that was hers.

A property manager I was recently having dinner with told me of a story where the tenants had vacated the property but left their dogs in the house. She got a call on Saturday night and had to take her 16 year old to break into the home and let the dogs out upon which time the tenants returned to say it had only been three days, they had left enough food but of course you can imagine the state of the carpet. I however had visions of her pushing her 16 year old though a small window saying “its ok darling just go in open the door, we do this all the time!”

At dinner recently we all pulled out our mobile phones and posted updates on face book as to where we were and how much fun we were having.

I head another story about a passenger on a flight that enabled him to hook into his email service once the flight had taken off. Unfortunately within a few minutes of using the service it dropped out and he was quiet annoyed about the fact that he could no longer work. Yet only an hour ago he had no idea that this technology existed. How quickly our expectations change.

So how hooked are we on technology and is the constant change shifting our expectations on everything?

I do have to say that it is wonderful being able to work outside of the office, have access to emails and still have your finger on the pulse so to say. However we do need to draw a line as to when and how often we expect people to be available. The problem or question if not life threatening will still be there in a few hours or the next day.

I think it is rude to bring your phone out in the middle of dinner or a meeting and tap away and yet I am a regular offender.

I don’t believe technology is the problem how we choose to use it is. We are rapidly creating a culture of working 24/7, in our industry our clients now almost expect it, so many of us are addicted to that email or text message coming through on our blackberries or iphones. In fact we are now spending more time working, increasing workloads and stress levels; I have my doubts on whether we are increasing productivity. What I find amusing is often I do spend a Sunday cleaning out my in-box and invariably as I do I am filling someone else’s.

I think we need to start getting sensible about how we use the technology, fight the addiction, be ok to turn the phone off, not check emails or texts and set clear expectations with colleagues and clients that these are my access times, if it is urgent , and be clear what urgent equals, call me.

I am happy to have people hold me accountable and if I do bring out my phone to see if anyone in the world needs me or loves me please tell me its rude and make me put it away. As long as of course I can do the same to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment