Wednesday, February 10, 2010

To tweet or not to tweet, facebook or blog... that my friends is the question!

Happy new year.... and yes I know it is February and many of you have missed me and my ramblings but happy to report back to duty.

Over the last few days a number of people have asked me where I have disappeared to in the social media world.... yes it has been a while.

It did get me thinking about how we use this medium to share our lives, commentary and business knowledge. And like when we don’t see friends for a while the reaction I have got has been the same.... Where have you been?

So if you or your business is starting down the social media path it is important that you don’t lose focus and consistency on communication.

So here is the very short version of what I have been up to.

I now live in Sydney and yes Melbourne is still very much the city that has culture and good food. The whole Melbourne Sydney debate is certainly one that features in conversations when my kids are in town much to my Sydney friends delight. It even seems to play out in the media from time to time.

Discovering a new city has been fun, the restaurants, bars, cafes, night life, making new friends and catching up with old ones.

I became a tenant again for the first time in over 20 years. The process has not changed but it has been very interesting eye opening experience being on the other side. I encourage managers and directors to become clients of their businesses even if it is just for one day and I can guarantee you that more often than not the client experience will be one that can be improved on. Watch this space for ideas and tips.

Christmas in Fiji was awesome. I was there with my nine children and close friends. There was a pig, sly grog, kava, singing, dancing and time for reflection. The sly grog recipe by the way is water and yeast left in the sun to ferment for at least a week. Tasted terrible!

New Year was spent at Lomalangi in Savusavu where we were the only guests. Setting off fire crackers towards coconut trees and dancing in the moonlight with the resort owners and staff was memorable.

We often talk about change management in business and why many resist it. Change management in your personal life is an interesting journey. Moving interstate has been a challenge. My most memorable moment was driving from the city back home the first week I moved to Sydney, filling petrol at a Shell Service Station and coming back to the car to find that my GPS had died. I sat there in a panic not knowing how I was going to get home, too proud to call anyone (that must some of the male genes that we females carry) and happy to have a meltdown in the car. The GPS did come to life and I did get home.

I will often say to people I coach that unless you feel uncomfortable in what you are doing you are probably not pushing yourself. Any change process has to be planned, staged and implementation and communication are critical for success.

This year I look forward to sharing many personal and businesses experiences on my blog and always look forward to any comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment