Monday, May 11, 2009

A changed view on Mothers day

I am not a big believer in mother’s day and I am always saying to my children mother’s day is every day and not one day in a year that is really designed for retailers to make money out of you.

In our family don’t do presents or dinners or lunches however we do lots of hugs and kisses.

This mother’s day was slightly different. As many of you know I recently took on the responsibility of 7 kids in Fiji. Their mum died of cervical cancer in Nov last year leaving the kids orphaned. I made a promise to Leba that I would look after the kids for her.

I speak to the kids every week, we pay for their education and basic day to day needs. I knew this mother’s day was going to be hard to for them and I will never replace their mother however I know that I am a strong female influence in their lives.

I spoke to all the kids again on Sunday afternoon and they had obviously talked about what they were going to say to me and how. Each child had the same or similar dialogue which was....”happy mother’s day Sadhana, we miss our mum very much and you are just like her, when can we come and see you ?”.

Suddenly mother’s day took on a whole new meaning to me.... I still don’t believe in it as a one day in the year celebration but from a child’s prospective just to have someone in your life to say these simple words to and to know that no matter what they will be there for you even if it is just at the end of a phone makes a difference.

How do you overcome distance at times like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment